Hall Information

Historical Overview

Built in 1911 to house the Lewisburg Hall and Warehouse Company, this site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. It was only the 30th Benton County property to be listed on the National Register.
View of Lewisburg
The Lewisburg Hall and Warehouse Company was incorporated in 1911.The specific purpose of the corporation is not entirely clear. However, the company’s articles of incorporation state that one of the company’s purposes is “to construct and build a hall, warehouse, and store-room, maintain and operate the same, and to carry on a general merchandise business.”
Lewisburg Grange Hall Band

The company built the current building on a railroad siding in 1911, leasing the upstairs to the Mt. View Grange #429 for meetings. A mercantile occupied the ground floor at this time, and livestock and produce from the area were stored and shipped from the warehouse downstairs.
Lewisburg Grange Hall Ladies Organization
The Mountain View Grange had its roots in the earlier Locke Grange #14, which was established in 1873. Mountain View Grange was organized in 1910, and held its first meetings in the nearby Mountain View school. In 1911, the grange began meeting upstairs in the newly build Lewisburg Hall, and in 1925 the grange purchased the entire building, and converted the ground floor into a kitchen and dining hall for their use.
Photos of the Lewisburg Grange Hall in Corvallis, Oregon
The membership of the Mt View Grange from 1910 -1990 played an important role in helping form rural farming policies at the state level. They were active participants with Oregon Agricultural College (now OSU) and Benton Co agricultural services. Five past presidents of OAC and OSU were members of the Mt View Grange.

In 1990, Linda and Tim Dodson purchased the building from the grange and spent six years restoring the hall to continue its historic use as a gathering place.

Lewisburg Hall is the only remaining rural railroad shipping depot/community meeting hall in Benton Co. It is vernacular in style and has been little altered since its construction. A front porch was added in 1925, and all other original architectural features have been restored, preserving the historic integrity of the building.
Young Lewisburg Grange Hall Members
Since restoration, its historic use as a community meeting place has been preserved. It is currently used as a home for St. Anne Orthodox Church, and the Lewisburg Hall (an event center).

Details of the original construction and restoration:

(General)
The building’s style is called Craftsman vernacular. It is wood with shiplap walls and overhanging eaves. Windows have cornice style heads. The upstairs hall, now the chapel, has wainscoting and tongue and groove wooden walls. The original old-growth Douglas fir flooring was restored upstairs and downstairs. All 38 windows were restored to their original condition. The interior was painted using historically appropriate colors, while the exterior was returned to its original color (white).

(Downstairs bathroom/powder room)
Both the kitchen and the downstairs powder room were restored to original and/or historically accurate condition. The claw-foot tub was brought from a 1915 house which had been demolished in Corvallis (on the NW corner of 4th and Tyler). The bathroom floor was replaced using old fir flooring salvaged from the same house.
The bathroom cabinets were built using salvaged material from various sources. The upper cabinet doors were given by a man in Albany—they came from the dining room of the house he grew up in. (The doors originally contained glass; beveled mirrors were installed for use in the bathroom).

(Kitchen)
Many of the cabinets in the hall were salvaged from local 1900’s buildings that had been demolished, including a boarding house in Lebanon and houses in Aurora, Corvallis, Brownsville and Tangent. Bead board doors under the counter in the kitchen were recreated using old doors found in the attic. Butterfly nickel hinges and cupboard catches were already in the kitchen, but were circa 1950. However, since they replicated 1900 era hardware and were of very good quality, they were stripped of multiple layers of paint and re-plated with nickel to be used again in the kitchen. (A few newer butterfly hinges were also used—see over the refrigerator. It is easy to see the superior quality of the older hinges). The rest of the kitchen hardware is accurate reproductions of 1900 hardware.

(Downstairs Hall)
The cabinet in the NW corner of the downstairs hall is an 1885 railroad cabinet. The large “wall” of cabinets came from the kitchen of the old boarding house in Lebanon. During restoration, the entire north wall of the downstairs hall had to be removed so that new lines could be run for security alarm, air conditioning and electricity. Prior to removing the wall boards, each row was numbered from top to bottom and from left to right, so that they could be reattached in the original order. Since they are hemlock and would easily dent if pried on with a hammer or crowbar, they were carefully removed by prying onto another board placed on top of the original siding. The nails that were removed were old ungalvanized nails and had to be replaced with galvanized modern nails. But since the new shiny nails would have been too obvious on the wall of a historic interior, all the new nail heads were dipped in a galvanized wash to rust them, so they would look original and blend with the old wood walls.

(Loading Dock and Outside Points of Interest)
The loading dock doors were reconstructed to return the look of historic doors on the exterior. They are 1900 style doors which were added to protect the building’s interior from the weather. Originally the interior sliding door was probably the only door in this opening. The loading dock was removed from the site in the 1940s, and was reconstructed during renovation in the 1990s, based on old photographs and on-site archaeological research. The cedar planks were specially milled at the Mary’s River cedar shake mill in Philomath. The Willamette and Pacific Railroad granted the hall restorers a “beautification easement” to reconstruct the loading dock in its original location, which is actually in the railroad right-of-way. W & P brought the rock for the track area and had their “gandy dancers” lay the old track at no charge.

The traditional Orthodox bells in the tower were cast in Russia and brought to the hall by St. Anne Orthodox church, where they are used at every service. The bell tower was added by the church.

There are three Port Orford cedars and one Sequoia beside the hall, planted for past grange masters, which date to the purchase of the building by the grange in 1925. The little red water pump in the front flowerbed is over one of the previous wells located on the property. This is still a viable well, although the pump is not operational at this time. This well turned to salt water and was abandoned by the grange many years ago. Apparently there are salt veins in the earth in the north Corvallis area, so a sweet water well turning to salt is not unusual.

The front porch was added by the grange in 1925. It had been altered in later years, but was returned to its original design during the extensive restoration in the 1990s. A photo of Lewisburg Hall was taken in 1925, just after the front porch was added. This photo served as a good historic documentation for restoring the front porch and ramp to their original design.

(Entryway and upstairs)
Downstairs alarm closet: note the paint marks inside the closet on the left side, indicating where the original location of the front door was. There is also a secret hiding place under the floor in this closet. The upstairs cabinets in the little hallway came from an old farmhouse.The upstairs landing closet upper cabinet was made by cutting up an old 5-panel door. The upstairs bathrooms were made using historically relevant materials. The patch on the upstairs floor covers an opening left by a grate which allowed heat to flow from the wood stove downstairs, which was directly under the vent. The upstairs pews (there are also a few downstairs) were made c. 1920, probably near Dallas, OR. They were purchased from a church in Corvallis, and are made of Douglas fir.

Lewisburg Hall offers a welcoming atmosphere, the perfect backdrop for your meeting or special event. Whether you are planning a training seminar for your employees, a company holiday party, or an intimate family wedding, the Lewisburg Grange Hall will provide you with a space where meetings and events assume an historic splendor and friendly charm.

The hall can seat up to 80 people and there is parking for 50 cars. We have an onsite caterer or you may bring in your own food. Join our family of patrons who have come to appreciate the timeless ambiance of this unique community gathering place.

If you have any questions about our services or facilities, or would like rental information please contact us. We would love to answer your questions and we look forward to serving you at the Lewisburg Grange Hall.